Table of contents:
What is liposuction?
Using liposuction, fat deposits can be removed to improve the contour of the body. This technique is particularly suitable for those areas of fat accumulation that do not disappear through dieting or exercise. For this reason, this procedure is not recommended as a slimming substitute. The doctor will advise and assist you. If certain goals are achieved, areas of the body where it is difficult to lose fat can be treated with liposuction. These include areas such as the love handles, abdomen, riding breeches, thighs, neck and arms. Liposuction makes it possible to treat these areas without visible scars. After all, we work with very fine cannulas through minimal incisions.
This technique is most suitable for patients with good skin elasticity where there is no excess skin. If there is excess skin, other techniques such as tummy tuck, arm lift and thigh lift are recommended. Your doctor will work with you to find the best solution for you.
Dr. Doornaert is affiliated with the best-known liposuction clinic in the Netherlands, and through his doctorate on fatty tissue he is always up to date with the latest techniques. The obtained fatty tissue can be used again for lipofilling after purification.
Attention: Even after liposuction, sport and a healthy diet remain very important! Some of the fat that has been sucked out may return (in another place) as your weight increases.
How does liposuction work?
- Through a small needle prick in the skin, the cannula is inserted.
- First, a liquid will be injected. This liquid will detach the fat cells from the surrounding tissues so that the fat can be sucked away faster and more efficiently. The fluid is left to work for 10 minutes.
- After that, the fat will be sucked away using a narrow cannula. Thanks to our high-quality medical equipment such as the PAL-System (Power-Assisted liposuction), the surgeon can suck away the fat volume in a very targeted way. The PAL system creates an intense vibration which causes the fat cells to be loosened even faster and a very precise liposuction can be performed.
What aftercare do I need and how long does it take to recover?
- Immediately after surgery, the skin is swollen, discoloured and sensitive or even temporarily numb. There may be residual swelling and sometimes hardening, which only disappears after weeks or sometimes months.
- You may have some wound fluid coming from the incisions the first few days. This is normal.
- After liposuction you have to wear tights, elastic bandages or an elastic corset. This is necessary to allow the skin to adhere well to the underlayer. You should wear this oppressive 'undergarment' day and night for about six weeks. If you want to shower or wash or clean wounds, which is allowed after 24 hours, you can of course take off these 'underwear'.
- Small incisions will heal and fade soon, being almost invisible.
- The final result of a liposuction can only be assessed after months because the swelling needs to go down first.
- Depending on the treated area, some people can resume their daily activities in a couple of days, others take weeks to recover. Ask your surgeon for advice.
What are the possible complications?
- Liposuction has the same risks as any other operation. There is a risk of bleeding or infection, although this is almost never the case.
- Occasionally, not all of the excess fatty tissue has been removed or too much might have been removed in an area, which can cause dips or hollows or asymmetry. Then it is necessary to perform an additional liposuction or lipofilling.
How much does liposuction cost?
- The costs depend on various factors (treatment area, desired outcome, amount of fatty tissue that needs to be removed etc. We advise you to schedule an initial consultation with our surgeon to get a personalised quote. Without a consult, you will not be operated on.
- Here you can find an overview of estimated prices concerning body surgery (e.g. liposuction).
Frequently asked questions
What is the cost of body surgery?
You can find estimated prices here, after your consultation you will be informed of the exact prices of your operation. Prices are average and may vary depending on: the exact treatment or surgery needed; the exact area you want to have treated; your body type; your expectations and wishes...
We have a specific procedure to get a quote from the doctor. To receive a personalized quote, please visit the following link to see your different options.
Is there a payment plan or financing option for a surgery?
No, payments have to be made following our payment policy. It is not possible to pay for a surgery via monthly/... payments.
We are doing our very best to keep this information up-to-date. In case you see anything that no longer seems accurate, or in case you have a question, please fill out the form below.