Table of contents:
Microdermabrasion is one of the more recent skincare techniques to have crossed over from Hollywood to the mainstream. It is being promoted as an ‘instant facelift’, which is a bit optimistic, but it certainly refreshes the skin.
- Diamond microdermabrasion is a simple and pain-free treatment.
- It is appropriate for almost all skin types.
- It can also treat the delicate skin areas around the mouth and eyes.
- Microdermabrasion is the ideal treatment for anybody who would like to experience a deeper, more effective facial.
- No downtime or side effects.
- Hypersensitivity to sun exposure—After a diamond microdermabrasion treatment, the skin is hypersensitive to the sun. The old skin is removed from the dermis and the younger skin is uncovered. This younger skin is hypersensitive to sun exposure. The use of sunscreen is extremely recommended.
- Repetition—You will need more than one treatment for the best result.
Mechanism—How does dermabrasion work?
- Removing the upper layer of dead skin cells — Microdermabrasion, also called mechanical exfoliation, is a method for facial rejuvenation that uses a diamond tip with rough grains and adjustable suction to sweep away the dead skin cells. All of the action in microdermabrasion takes place at the level of the stratum corneum. Your skin is made up of two main layers, the epidermis and the dermis. The epidermis is the layer closest to the outside world. The stratum corneum is the top layer of this epidermis. It is basically a set of dead skin cells. It is this stratum corneum that is removed by dermabrasion. Since dermabrasion only really targets the epidermis (and not the dermis), it would be more accurate to call it micro-epi-dermabrasion. Affecting deeper layers of skin would be painful and harmful.
- Stimulation healing response — Microdermabrasion triggers a wound response in the skin. As the skin repairs itself, it becomes thicker, smoother, more elastic, and therefore looks healthier.
- Microdermabrasion uses a diamond tip with rough grains and adjustable suction to sweep away the dead skin cells. The suction also increases the blood flow to the skin and that helps the skin to produce collagen.
What can microdermabrasion do for you?
- Fresh and radiant skin — By exfoliating and suctioning, we remove the dead skin cells and activate and stimulate the new skin cells which leads to collagen production, which leads to thicker and firmer skin. Human skin sloughs off at a slower rate with age, so the exfoliation with diamond microdermabrasion helps to renew the skin and leaves the skin fresh and radiant.
- Even out the texture of the skin — Microdermabrasion can be performed to decrease the appearance of superficial hyperpigmentation, to diminish fine lines, wrinkles and superficial acne scars. It helps to even out the texture of the skin.
- Increase penetration of products — Microdermabrasion will also increase the penetration of skin care products up by to 50%.
Who is a good candidate for microdermabrasion?
- Diamond microdermabrasion is a treatment for both men and women.
- It is useful for people with dull skin, mild acne, acne discoloration, pick marks, very superficial acne scars, open pores and blackheads, age spots, fine lines and wrinkles.
- It is a good treatment for patients with busy lifestyles who are looking for a treatment with no side effects or downtime.
Who is not a good candidate for microdermabrasion?
The treatment cannot be performed in patients with highly active acne, eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, skin cancer, vascular lesions ore anyone who takes oral blood thinners.
How to prepare for microdermabrasion?
No preparation is needed for this procedure.
How is microdermabrasion performed
- Cleaning — Before we start the diamond microdermabrasion treatment, the skin will be freed from make-up and oils.
- Stretching — The skin will be stretched to provide some tension in order to achieve the most effective abrasion and vacuum.
- Moving over the skin with the diamond tip — The hand piece with diamond tip is moved over the skin in a repeated single, smooth motion. Usually two to four repetitions per area are sufficient.
- Ointment mask — After removing the dead cells which served as a protection layer of the skin, ointments can now penetrate deeply into the skin. After the microdermabrasion we will apply a mask that is left to be absorbed by the skin for ten minutes.
What is the average treatment plan of microdermabrasion?
- The duration of one facial treatment is one hour.
- After one treatment of Diamond microdermabrasion, the skin may become noticeably smoother but for optimal results it is important to take a series of microdermabrasion treatments.
- Four to eight treatments are recommended for the best results. The number of treatments that you need is a very individual decision.
- The initial four to six treatments of diamond microdermabrasion can be spaced one week apart.
- Afterwards, it is important to continue the treatment on a monthly basis to best maintain the achieved result.
What to expect and do during the recovery period after microdermabrasion?
- No downtime — Diamond microdermabrasion is a safe and common procedure. It is not traumatic for the skin, so you will not need healing and recovery. You can return to work after your diamond microdermabrasion session is finished.
- Mild redness of the skin — This is the desired outcome and usually resolves after minutes to hours after the diamond microdermabrasion treatment. It is possible that you experience a mild sunburn-like sensation for a few days.
- Make-up — Do not wear any make-up the first day after the microdermabrasion treatment and use a gentle moisturizer regularly.
- Exercise — Do not swim or exercise for a few days after the microdermabrasion treatment. It will make the skin feel uncomfortable.
- Shaving — Avoid shaving or waxing for a week after the microdermabrasion treatment.
What are the risks of microdermabrasion?
- We rarely see some cold sores reappear after diamond microdermabrasion around the lips.
- There is a small possibility of an increase in surface blood vessels if you have a very thin skin. That is why we avoid the areas with a thin and sensitive skin.
How long can I expect the results of microdermabrasion to last?
After the appropriate number of treatments, you will see and feel a real difference in the health of your skin. It is important that you understand that the results come in small steps. Diamond microdermabrasion is not a long-term solution. You will need to continue the treatment if you want to maintain the result.
We are doing our very best to keep this information up-to-date. In case you see anything that no longer seems accurate, or in case you have a question, please fill out the form below.