Table of contents:
What is a chemical peel?
The basic principle of a chemical peel (or peeling with acids) is the same regardless of the type of acid; the removal/dissolving of dead skin cells and the stimulation of cell division (cell renewal). The chemical peel therefore act on the deeper skin layers. This result is smoother, younger looking skin. The power of chemical peels lies in repeating and dosing them, not destroying the skin. Like descent facial care, we do not 'strip' the skin!
Ekseption, the brand which we use for treatment, is a skincare line consisting of 13 types of 'chemical peels' (based on the properties of the acids) with matching skincare before treatment and aftercare at home. The combination of the specific @home line with the powerful peels gives a phenomenal result! These exfoliations are made on a natural basis. Think of papaya, pumpkin, cucumber and sugarcane, which are composed in an innovative way to make your skin more beautiful.
The idea behind the products is skin improvement or 'resurfacing skincare'. Whether your complaints consist of wrinkles, deeper lines, sagging skin, large pores, pigmentation spots, extremely oily skin or acne, dry skin, rosacea... or other forms of skin abnormalities which you are not satisfied with: resurfacing gives a new 'outside' from the inside.
Young skin renews itself completely every 28 days. With age, this process slows down every year and the top layer of skin with cornified cells becomes thicker and uneven. The thickness of the cornified cell layer can also increase due to ultraviolet light.
What can you expect?
Maximum results WITHOUT the major drawbacks of past treatment techniques such as large patches of loose skin, burns or infections. You will notice the result from the first peel, which improves even further with each successive treatment.
A few days after the peel your skin may feel a little dry, these are the skin cells that are renewing. After that, your skin will feel wonderfully smooth again. Your skin also needs to be hydrated well on a daily basis after the treatment in combination with a daily protection against UV rays (see skincare protocol).
Most important benefits:
- New vessels are created and the intensity of the fibroblasts (= connective tissue forming cells) increases. More collagen and elastin are obtained.
- Improved skin appearance and skin structure
- Wrinkle improvement
- Removal of imperfections
- General hydration of the skin
- Stimulation of microcirculation, which reduces redness and rosacea
- Improvement of microrelief, reduction of height differences such as scars
Am I a good candidate for a chemical peel?
- Health: you must be healthy and you must not have any medical conditions that could disrupt healing. No treatment can be given when using Roaccutane.
- Following skincare protocol: before and after the chemical peel you must follow a prescribed skin care protocol.
- Direct sun exposure: a few weeks before and after the chemical peel you should limit sun exposure and use sunscreen (SPF 50). No suntanning. Om de beste resultaten te bekomen, volgt u best de volledige procedure van 4-10 behandelingen, elke
To obtain the best results, it is advised to follow 4-10 treatments, having a treatment every 7 to 14 days. The frequency may vary according to your individual skin characteristics and needs. By using regular exfoliations afterwards, you will help maintain the results for up to a year after the treatment.
Which types of chemical peel sessions are availble at the clinic?
CONSULTATION + SOFT PEEL
- Information concerning treatment based on a consultation folder.
- Purchase of 4 @home skincare products (not included) in order apply preparation care and aftercare correctly.
- The soft peel treatment: superficial cleansing, deep cleansing with enzyme powder, degreasing lotion, soft touch peel, neutralising and refreshing carboxy mask, care repair cream, sun protection SPF 50.
- The gentle peel treatment: superficial cleansing, deep cleansing with enzyme powder, degreasing lotion, peeling of choice (1-3 skin layers), neutralising and refreshing carboxy mask, caviar liquid mask, massage face, care repair cream, sun protection SPF 50.
- The gentle peel treatment: superficial cleansing, deep cleansing with enzyme powder, degreasing lotion, peeling of choice (max 5 skin layers OR retinol peeling), neutralising and refreshing carboxy mask, caviar liquid mask, massage face, care repair cream, sun protection SPF 50.
Frequently asked questions
Why do I have to buy four products at the beginning of my treatment?
This purchase takes place during the consultation + first soft peeling session. You need these products in order to apply the correct preparation and post-treatment. If you don’t, you will expierience the disadvantages of past peel treatment (large patches of loose skin, hypersensitivity to the sun, burns, infections...) and the peel will not be able to do its job as thoroughly and the result will not be optimal. This purchase is a one-off purchase to cover all your future treatments or sessions.
Can I wear make-up after the peel treatment?
For the first 24 hours, do not apply make-up to your skin because of the risk of infection, clogged pores, reducing the effectiveness of the peel...
Can I go into the sun / under a sunbed?
Avoid direct / prolonged exposure to sunlight or sunbeds for the first few weeks before and after treatment. ALWAYS wear sunscreen, and certainly after your treatment. Sun protection is included in the purchase of the skincare products.
Is there any downtime / are there side effects?
No, there are no major disadvantages as with previous treatment techniques. However, the skin may feel dry for a while after the treatment.
Is a chemical peel painful?
No, when the chemical peel is applied, you won't experience pain. You might feel a slight burning or tingling sensation depending on the intensity of the treatment but this is not painful.
Can I have a chemical peel in the summer (concerning hyperpigmentation)?
Yes, apart from retinol peels, all peels are not sensitive to the skin. Therefore, when combined with the right @home skincare products, they can be used safely 365 days a year. This makes the Ekseption peeling products (the brand we use) the safest category within chemical peelings.
What is the cost of a beauty treatment (endermology, microdermabrasion, chemical peels, semi-permanent make-up...)?
Here you can find an overview of all the prices per beauty treatment.
We are doing our very best to keep this information up-to-date. In case you see anything that no longer seems accurate, or in case you have a question, please fill out the form below.